I had sneaked away from the
fray children to use the furthest away facility, the one in the the en suite.
Of course I hadn’t shut the door, it’s the en suite.
So when I heard small but heavy foot steps advancing to the cry of “mummy where are yooou?” my heart sank.
|A boy discusses important matters with his Dalek
It occurred to me that there are a great many sounds that make a parent’s heart sink.
- A shout followed by breath-holding silence. it will need attention.
- The burpy bark that precedes a vomit. Get there fast an you might avert carpet annihilation
- Any very loud smashy kind of clatter. Especially if it comes before a stunned silence.
- Brothers clamouring loudly over the top of each other. Apparently actually knocking heads together is frowned on.
- The almost nonchalant “no” that heralds a howling tantrum.
- “Mum, I can’t find my…. ” when you know it’s there.
- A pasticky crunch underfoot, it will always be a loved and essential thing not a Mcdonald’s toy.
- The phone ringing off as no one bothers to answer it.
- The phone being answered and it’s a work contact being told “mums in the toilet”.
- But, the most alarming of all, total silence when you know there are children within ear shout. They are bound to be up to no good.